If the old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words is true, then how much is a video worth?
Businesses are finding that videos are incredibly effective tools to include on a website to help bring in business and give a site a more dynamic appearance. However, there are some things you need to know before you begin including videos on your site.
Here’s our best advice for adding video to your business website:
Embedding vs. Hosting
The first thing you need to know is don’t put the video directly on your website so that it’s hosted by your server. Instead, you should upload the video to a service such as YouTube or Vimeo. Then, you embed the video from this site into your webpage.
This serves a few purposes:
- It saves server usage and bandwidth which could significantly slow your website speed
- It decreases the chance of videos freezing mid-view because YouTube’s servers can handle the traffic
- It prevents you from overloading your personal web server with giant files that may exceed the limits set by your hosting company
If you plan to add videos to your website, what type of content should you include?
This falls into a few different categories. Ultimately, add videos that fit with your company dynamic.
Here are just a few suggestions:
- An introduction to your company with a short promotion to showcase your products, let customers view your offices, and even introduce key employees
- Use demonstrations. If you have a special product, show your customers how they can use it and create a “mini-commercial” to sell the product to them. If you’re more service based in your business, showcase a demonstration of one of your services so the potential buyer can see the quality of your work
- Host simple “How To” videos related to your job. If you’re a plumber, basic handyman videos can bring in customers who might realize that what they’re watching is beyond their ability and they need to call in you, the expert
Videos can be a great way to bring in more business for your company’s website. However, it takes careful planning as to what type of videos you want to include and how best to include them without overburdening your hosting servers.
We keep your website running efficiently, so you don’t have to. We offer flexible hosting service packages starting at $10.00 per month, with several packages to choose from that will accommodate your specific business needs. Find out more about us and our web hosting at https://denversbestwebhosting.com/. If you need help building a custom, optimized website, visit our other site: https://qsoftdesigns.com/. We specialize in helping the little guy - small businesses - with their online presence.