In the fast-paced technology industry, it’s important to always stay up-to-date with new developments and trends. Once you create a website for your business, you can’t just leave it out there and hope for the best.
You have to update it regularly, so it stays functional. Part of this updating is to run occasional website security audits.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Check your IP address—One of the first things to do is to make sure that your IP address is clean. If your IP has been blacklisted, then lots of companies and users will never find you because they will be blocked from doing so. This can be because of past security issues with your site such as malicious code. Mx Toolbox is just one resource you can use to find out if you have been blacklisted.
- Change your passwords—Passwords should be updated regularly. You shouldn’t wait until you are hacked to do an update. By changing up to secure, strong passwords regularly, you will stay one step ahead of the hackers.
- Update your apps and plug-ins—Next, you need to make sure you have the latest versions of all your apps and plug-ins. As programs become aware of security problems, they will post updates or patches to repair these vulnerabilities. You want to make sure you have the most updated versions so that you have access to all these security features.
- Delete old accounts and files—If you have had former employees leave the company, then their access to your website needs to be deleted to prevent tampering. Additionally, this is a great time to clear out old, unused files from your server that may be taking up valuable storage space.
- Get an SSL—If you haven’t already done this, it is important to get an SSL certificate. This will encrypt data when it is sent between two or more computers. That way, if the data (such as credit card numbers) are intercepted by hackers they won’t be able to decipher the information. SSL certificates are an easily added extra layer of security.
Website security is of the utmost importance when running a business online. If your site becomes compromised, it can set your business back millions in lost sales and customer trust. A security update could be the perfect thing to do today.
We keep your website running efficiently, so you don’t have to. We offer flexible hosting service packages starting at $10.00 per month, with several packages to choose from that will accommodate your specific business needs. Find out more about us and our web hosting at https://denversbestwebhosting.com/. If you need help building a custom, optimized website, visit our other site: https://qsoftdesigns.com/. We specialize in helping the little guy - small businesses - with their online presence.